Tuesday, November 30, 2004

All The Leaves Are (Not Yet) Brown

But, the sky has been quite gray here. We have had a lot of rain. According to The Weather Channel, areas of Arkansas have about a four inch surplus of rain, with an expected one or two inches on the way within the next few days. The Weather Channel is really cool, though I don't watch it as much as I used to. Now it is more of a quickie wardrobe adjustment tool, to be sure that I do not freeze, fry, or drown as I dash about town. I have even watched Storm Stories a few times, though quite a while ago. Though I have joked about how enthralling and exciting it is to watch the weather channel (you're just on the edge of your seat!), I really do like to try to decipher the different maps, radars, and readings that they broadcast.

It may boil down to my brain being wired for scientific inquiry, but I like almost anything with a science behind it: my chemistry class, my anatomy and physiology class, CSI, science-action movies, Discovery Health Channel, some PBS documentaries, and a lot of Little Sister's exploration/explanation books. Mind, Little Sister is only seven years old. The other day, she got out one of her books about sharks(which she really likes) and asked me to read it to her. It had words that I had only heard in my biology class, like cephalopod, and plenty more words that I hadn't heard of at all! But she's also the owner of a very inquisitive little mind. I honestly believe that each child birthed by my mother was successively smarter than the last. And this may open up the Nature/Nurture argument, but we have also had a rich, vibrant upbringing. A little bit crazy as well, but as Mr. Wonka said, "A little nonsense now and then is treasured by the wisest men."

So, I will go study for my Anatomy and Physiology lab final while listening to the soft pattering of rain in the background, and look forward to driving to school in the morning. The changing leaves are beautiful down that road.

No comments: