Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Vacations are Blessed Things

To be truly honest, I am very glad that I did not have to work on Monday or Tuesday. My church's pastor and his wife attended the state convention and needed someone to dog and house sit. One time previously I stayed at their home with their dogs and bird, so they asked me if I could do this again. They have two sweet black labs and a little yellow bird, all of which are very easy to care for. I was glad to take care of them, so I asked for and got Monday and Tuesday off from work. Since I don't work on Wednesdays anyway, I can still watch the dogs until their mom and dad come home today.

So really, aside from still going to classes, I have had a small vacation. With this block of time opened up, I was able to attend a seminar with a friend of mine. There have been a number of seminars this semester, but my normal work schedule hasn't allowed me to attend. There have been varying topics, but last nights topic was probably by far the most interesting and culturally relevant. We discussed the historical and popular culture views on the values of love, sex, and marriage. A major strain of discussion was the historical role of "love" in choosing a partner and in the marriage relationship. According to the speaker, historically, up until about the 1600's, "What's Love Got to do With It?" could have been the theme on the view of marriage. Marriages were nothing if not economic and social contracts formed to improve a person's economic capabilities. For example, a farmer would choose or select a wife based on her strength and capabilities around the farm. He would need someone to help him with the work, not just to sit around looking pretty all day. It was also said that at some times in history, though I have forgotten the dates, marriage was looked down upon, and the relationship between a married man and woman was seen as impure or immoral. WHOA! In the words of one of my sis's (possibly) favorite characters, "SHUT UP!"

There were more topics and historical contexts discussed, definitely interesting stuff. Another really neat part about the whole experience was the conversation that I had with my friend afterwards. Now, I would say that I am a conservative by nature, upbringing and belief. My friend, Abby, defines herself as an ultraliberal. But, her religious and spiritual beliefs also inform her sociocultural beliefs. One of the men there said that he thought marriages should be in the form of a two-year renewable contract. You get married and must stay married for two years. After that time, the marriage is evaluated and you either renew the contract for another two years, or you go your seperate way. We likened it to cellphone contracts where fees are imposed for breaking the contract before it's time fulfillment. We laughed about it a little while we were there, but when we were talking afterwards, we both agreed that we believe a marriage is not a contract which can be broken, but a covenant between two people. It was a lot of fun talking with her; she's a very smart lady.

Overall, yesterday evening was very enjoyable. I am kind of hoping to be able to talk with my sis about some of these things. She's another person who is wonderful to converse with. It will be interesting to see what she thinks about these things. I am glad that I know so many intelligent, creative, and caring people. I am blessed not necessarily with many friends, but I am blessed with good friends, the best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fair One,
It's ROT. I've lost my cell phone so I don't have your number. Give me a call. If I'm not home, leave it on the machine.
BBB-ROT

fair one said...

Okey-dokey, artichokey!

Super Fox said...

Wow. I'm lost on this strain of conversation. And I think that the contract thing might work for some. Seriously, Britney and JLo might think twice if they had to stay married for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!!