Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Agony, Misery, and Woe

I hope that you do not mind permitting me a little melodrama. I will try to contain myself as much as I can, but I feel somewhat awful right now. Anything but the vaguest sense of temporal passage has left me, so I am not certain of specific dates, but I believe that it was a little more than a week ago that I first fell ill. Fell ill hard. As of last Thursday I felt quite recovered, enough to go to work on Saturday. Well, as you might know, I did not take as good of care of myself as I should have once I got to feeling better. Ironically enough, I neither got enough sleep nor water. I don't know how much those factors came into play, but I started to feel icky again at work on Saturday. I was well enough to make it to church on Sunday, but decided not to stay for the evening service in favor of coming home and sleeping.

Monday found me sniffling a little bit more, but I made it through school and work without too much trouble. However, when I awoke Tuesday morning, before my alarm even went off, I felt about as good as though I had been turned into sausage in my sleep. Apparently I had not even begun to understand how bad one can feel, because shortly after I cleaned up, I developed an awful earache. Not a dull, mild pain, but an awful, agonizing ache. I had a test in Chemistry, and we cannot make up tests, so I decided to go ahead and take the test but skip lab. This will probably (hopefully) be my lowest test grade of the semester. It is hard to concentrate on balancing addition reactions between alkanes and halogens when you feel like your own head is undergoing a series of combustion reactions.

After the test I just came home, took a couple of ibuprofen tablets and tried to sleep, which wasn't easy either. But, after sleeping for about forty-five minutes in my car, since it was nice and toasty from being out in the sun, I came inside and slept for another three or four hours. My ear was somewhat numb and I couldn't hear very well out of it when BBB took me out to dinner, followed by a short roam around a local bookstore before she had to go to work. Sleep has since been somewhat elusive. I took two more ibuprofen before trying to lie down again. Around midnight my ear felt like it was starting to drain, so I put some paper towels under that ear and have been trying to lie only on that side. I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow(actually, later today), for the first time in a few years. Let us hope that it is not anything too serious. It's miserable feeling miserable.

My love to Sister, Brother, and Little Sister: I hope that you all are feeling better!

No comments: