Tuesday, January 25, 2005

You Like What?!

A few semesters ago, two to be exact, I was very blessed to be in the class of an amazing composition teacher. She asked to keep journals, though not a daily journal like a diary. Occasionally she would give us a topic to write on. One of the assignments was something like, "List 50 things that make you happy." That was one of our first assignments, as I remember, because we also used it as an ice breaker in class. She had us say our name and one thing off of the list. I chose "hanging upside down." I do enjoy hanging upside.

Well, today in philosophy we barely touched on the nature of certainty, or the question, "Is there any one thing certain?" Our teacher pretty much got it down to saying that the only certain thing is that thoughts occur. I don't know precisely how I tied these two ideas together in my head, but there have been a few times when people said that they want to get to know me better, so they ask me what I like, or what makes me happy. As I knew when I was doing that assignment for my composition teacher, what makes me happy today won't necessarily be the same thing that makes me happy next year, next month, next week, tomorrow, or even an hour from now (an hour from now, sleep will be the number one thing on my happy list).

So, giving a nod to the fluid nature of my mind's judgement of pleasing items, activities, and thoughts, a current, up to the moment (as of 11:42:24 pm 1-24-05) list would look something like this (for the most part in no specific order):

  1. Being a Christian
  2. Being able to freely live a Christian life
  3. Chemistry class with Mr. Most-awesome-chemistry-teacher-ever
  4. Spanish class with Ms. Wonderful-spanish-teacher
  5. Running
  6. Eating ice cream
  7. Spinach
  8. New socks
  9. New crayons
  10. Drawing
  11. Showing people my drawings, and them liking the drawings
  12. Writing
  13. Reading
  14. Learning
  15. Pretending that I can juggle
  16. Hanging out with BBB
  17. Chillin' with Sis, Bro, and Lil Sis
  18. Sharp Cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and turkey
  19. Going to church
  20. Listening to music
  21. Christian rock/urban music
  22. Listening to Lil Sis talk about animals
  23. Playing with my hair
  24. Having my hair styled/braided by someone else
  25. Making music with my nose
  26. Root beer
  27. Cinnamon Raisin bread
  28. Watching movies with Sis, Bro, Lil Sis, and BBB
  29. Talking on the phone with good friends
  30. Taking care of my car
  31. Bicycling
  32. Pretending that I'm Evil Knievel's granddaughter
  33. Talking with Grandma
  34. Cooking
  35. Making things
  36. Helping out those who need help
  37. Being right
  38. Watching time/nature/mutant squirrels/life/people go by
  39. Listening to BBB tell a story
  40. Listening to Sis or Bro tell a story
  41. Telling Lil Sis a story
  42. Remembering
  43. Playing with make-up
  44. Using big words
  45. Learning new big words
  46. Trying to speak Spanish
  47. Flirting with birds, cats, or dogs
  48. Driving the back way home from school to see the horses
  49. Driving Lil Sis the back way home from school to show her the horses
  50. Spending time with the whole family!

That is not even remotely close to being anything like a nearly complete list of things that I enjoy or that make me happy. There millions of billions of other things that I enjoy, from general to specific, but I don't think that I have the time. I will instead start a new list:

  1. ZzzzzzzzzZzzzzZzzzzZzzZzzZzzZzzZz z z z z z z...

P.S. What do you like? Do you have your own list of 50 things that you really like? Maybe a more modest list of 49 or so? If you would like to share it, just post a comment to this entry, or if you know it, you can e-mail me. Just be sure to put Re: Blog Post "You Like What?!" in the subject line. Have a very enjoyable and blessed day!

No comments: