Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Forensic Nursing is a Possibility

I have really not done very much research as to what kinds of career I might be getting into as a nurse, but one of the options that I have briefly looked into is that of forensic nursing. According to the International Association of Forensic Nurses, "Forensic Nursing is the application of nursing science to public or legal proceedings; the application of the forensic aspects of health care combined with the bio-psycho-social education of the registered nurse in the scientific investigation and treatment of trauma and/or death of victims and perpetrators of abuse, violence, criminal activity and traumatic accidents."

Those who know me well, and you know who you are, could tell you that for quite a while I wanted to be a forensic pathologist. The most likely career paths here would be a coroner or medical examiner, depending on the resident state's system. North Carolina Wesleyan College's Forensic Pathology Information Page lists establishing the cause and estimating the time of death, inferring the type of weapon used, and establishing the identity of the deceased, among the responsibilities of a forensic pathologist. As well as I can remember, and what I have recounted to those who were willing to listen, I have wanted to be a forensic pathologist since about the fifth grade. And there were a number of influencing factors:



  • My interest in anything morbid and dark

  • Characters on shows that I watched with mom

  • A developing (though weak) analytical curiosity

  • I liked the idea of helping to "solve" a crime and catch the bad people

Since I have more recently fallen into an interest in the broad field of nursing, I though that I had perhaps left this previous childhood ambition behind. However, a career in forensic nursing sounds like it might be just the ticket. I still am not certain of just what I will be doing. It will require a lot more prayer, listening, learning, and not wretching. Can I do it? Not on my own. But I am looking forward to seeing what I will be doing.

I better start by not being lazy and going to class. Have a good day and may God bless you according to His abundant mercy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A thought from Auntie MB:

If you're seriously contemplating anything in the forensics field, I recommend you read "Stiff" by Mary Roach. It is a brilliant piece of nonfiction, detailing what happens to a body after the person dies. One chapter deals with the physical decomposition. Other chapters deal with what happens to bodies that are donated to medical science. There's also a lot of history, about how it used to be more lucrative to dig up freshly buried bodies and sell them to doctors who wanted to dissect them than it was to simply dig them up and rob them of their jewelry.

There's much more to the book. I'm only halfway through it, and I'm absolutely fascinated. While it's very straight-forward and the author doesn't pull any punches, it's not as graphically disturbing as I thought it would be. (No, no photos.)

Let me know if you get a chance to check it out, or if you want to read my copy when I finish.

xxoo, auntie mb