Sunday, January 09, 2005

WARNING: Some content may not be suitable...

For those with a weak anatomical constituent (esp. a heart, stomach, or other vital viscera), please look away. I suppose that this should be in the subtitle of my blog, or at least somewhere that it can be in plain sight for any poor sole that may just surf right on in here and find their constitutions filleted. On that note, I should probably add a disclaimer for those with severe allergies to bad puns as well. It's always better to err on the side of caution, as they say.

"They" also happened to say that "chick-flicks" are cheap, mushy entertainment made to feed the feeble-minded. I almost always agree with the mushy part, even when I don't necessarily agree with just what movies can fall into the category of "chick-flicks" (Braveheart anyone?). We recently viewed the picture show Shall We Dance?, which I feel is most certainly eligible for this vilified genre. Well it did have its share of mushy parts, it was not completely without substance. It preached, but it did so rather gently within the context of the story. It is a good movie.

Motion picture caliber is always debatable. But, in the grand scheme of things, it's not really worth debating. For instance, my current Top Ten (which is in constant flux due to my own chemistry, Earth's magnetic fields, and the style of Bill O'reilly's hair) probably looks something like this (in no particular order):


  1. The Jungle Book (Disney circa 50's; always number one)
  2. Whale Rider
  3. Pitch Black/The Chronicles of Riddick
  4. The Phantom Tollbooth (How cool would it be if they remade it now? Anybody have connections?)
  5. The Professional
  6. Brokedown Palace
  7. Collateral
  8. The Passion of the Christ
  9. The Green Mile
  10. Runaway Bride


There are only about a bazoogillion other movies that I really like, and probably a few that I might have otherwise put in my top ten, but couldn't think of. I could probably make lists upons lists of movies; My Top Ten...


  1. Movies that I really, really, REALLY want to see... SOON
  2. Movies that I would eventually like to get around to seeing
  3. Movies that I am ashamed to admit I have seen
  4. Movies that I have seen part(s) of but would like to see ALL of
  5. Favorite Romantic, but not too "un-macho" Movies
  6. Favorite Macho, but not too macho Movies
  7. Favorite Train Movies
  8. Favorite Period Movies (would Ever After and Gladiator count?)
  9. Favorite Children's-Fictional-Books-made-into-Movies
  10. Favorite Spine-tingly Movies


Of the last category, Sister and I agree that the 1967 film Wait Until Dark is one of the very best. Without a doubt. And Audrey Hepburn does a superb job! Wait. I thought that I began by saying that movies aren't that important. As cosmically insignificant as I believe that I believe movies to be, they are sometimes so fascinating, so distracting. And sometimes, especially in difficult, painful, or confusing times, a good distraction is very important. . . .

How else would you be able to get those fries from your stingy brother, eh?


No comments: