Thursday, June 09, 2011

I have to be a real adult now?!

Last month saw Confirmation at the church that Zack and I joined, graduation from college after an eight year undergraduate career and apparent mastery of my soon-to-be mother-in-law's pancake recipe. Each event had a luxuriant day of reflection and/or celebration that accompanied it.

Now I just need to find a job, start paying off my all-too-easily-accumulated student debt and finish hammering out the details for our fall wedding.

The lack of homework, projects, required reading and work in general has been pretty nice. There hasn't been too much of a waste of time either. I've filled the days with job applications, cleaning, crafting, reading, bike fixing, friend visiting, cat sitting, errand running, spending time with my sweetheart, résumé tweaking, some cooking and lessons from Zack on hockey during the Stanley Cup games.

So, now.

I need a job.

A good job would be good. A decent job would be acceptable. I really would not care for an income without the labor though. In developing my résumé, filling out applications and analyzing jobs to see if I would be a good fit, I've reiterated to myself that I'm too much of a people person to be cooped up and isolated. Interacting with people in a meaningful and helpful way is one of my favorite things about any job. There is also the satisfaction that I get in accomplishing and completing a task, personally checking an item off of a list.

The eternal optimist in me is positive that a job will come along soon, even just a decent job. However, her voice doesn't quite quell those nagging anxieties about bills, responsibility and debt reduction. I'm keeping my eyes open and my job application folder close at hand to land that job as soon as I can.

Here's hoping.

No comments: